Re: Really really slow select count(*)

От Maciek Sakrejda
Тема Re: Really really slow select count(*)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
>> Well.... it said "Failed to shutdown ..............."  and then
>> returned control. and then proceeded to run for about an hour. I'm
>> not sure how graceful that is.
>
> Ah, but that was just the control script that sends the database the command
> to shut down. The 'graceful' part, is that the database is being nice to
> everyone trying to do things with the data inside.
>
> The control script has a timeout. So it'll send the command, wait a few
> seconds to see if the database responds, and then gives up.

For what it's worth, I think that's the not-so-graceful part. The
control script gives up, but the actual shutdown still occurs
eventually, after all current connections have ended. I think most
users will take pg_ctl at its word, and assume "Failed to shutdown"
means "I couldn't shut down with this command, maybe you should try
something else", and not "I couldn't shut down right now, although
I'll get to it as soon as everyone disconnects.".

---
Maciek Sakrejda | System Architect | Truviso

1065 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Suite 215
Foster City, CA 94404
(650) 242-3500 Main
www.truviso.com