Re: proposal: plpgsql - iteration over fields of rec or row variable

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: proposal: plpgsql - iteration over fields of rec or row variable
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> if I understand well - it's not too far to my idea - just you create
>>> instance on function level? It is possible too. As disadvantages I
>>> see:
>>> a) you need some special syntax too
>>> b) there is overhead with multiple function call
>>> c) you have to manage some space for temporary values
>>
>> yes.  If you need to deal with plan instance it should be at function
>> level IMO.  There are other cases for this, search_path for example.
>> What overhead?
>
> you call a trigger body more times then once. The call of plpgsql
> isn't cheep. Main problem is missing a some working memory. Task:
> ensure so sum of fields must be less than some constant?
>
> What is solution in your design?

nothing specific.   My main interest is in the plan management portion
(only because of side interest in search_path which is complete mess
at present).  if plpgsql_compile knows that it is trigger function and
which table fired the trigger, you can generate specific hash key, and
take advantage of new/old being well defined inside function
execution.  This seems less fiddly than trying to deal with plan
mechanics inside the function.  My knowledge stops there -- I don't
have a real good understanding of how plpgsql works internally.  If
this idea passes smell test maybe it merits more research.

merlin