Re: Improve initdb and pg_controldata manual pages

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Improve initdb and pg_controldata manual pages
Дата
Improve initdb and pg_controldata manual pages  (Leslie S Satenstein <lsatenstein@yahoo.com>)
Список pgsql-docs
On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> Hard to say.  We have the problem that our docs were made by a lot of
>> people over a long period of time, so inconsistencies are a fact of
>> life.  "Pro" documentation might be more consistent if it's written by a
>> smaller group of people over a shorter period of time...
>
> We probably have higher quality but lower consistency.

Isn't consistency part of quality?  I think on the whole that our docs
are excellent in both quality and consistency.  There are things that
I'm not happy about, but this particular issue seems like the sort of
thing that's not really worth spending effort on.  I think the
portions of our docs that could still use some work are the newer
portions, such as the Hot Standby docs, which still feel a little
rough compared to some other places - sort of a laundry list of things
that will and won't work (UUID generators?).  I'd rather see us invest
time in general copy editing than spend a lot of time creating an
unnecessary and possibly confusing consistency with regards to
something like this.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company