Re: Careful PL/Perl Release Not Required

От Alex Hunsaker
Тема Re: Careful PL/Perl Release Not Required
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 16:42, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2011, at 12:57 PM, Alex Hunsaker wrote:
>
>> Yay! 1
>
> Yes, this is all good. But it still seems to me that:
>
> * If your database is neither utf-8 no sql_ascii

You mean... we have been talking past each other this whole time?
Olegs case _was_ a utf8 database.
From his original bug:

>> Hi there, below is the problem, which I don't have when running in shell. The database is in UTF-8 encoding.

Thats why I have been fighting the notion that he can finally get rid
of the utf8::decode(). The utf8::decode() _before_ uri_unescape() was
wrong, it "fixed" his problem but that was really a bug. The
utf8::decode() after uri_unescape() is the right answer. And he will
still need that pre and post patch.

> * And your PL/Perl functions expect arguments that are byte soup
> * Once you upgrade to 9.1 they won't be
> * So you'll need to encode them.

Yeah, I think we all agree it should be mentioned in the incompatible
section of the release notes. :-)