Re: format() with embedded to_char() formatter

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: format() with embedded to_char() formatter
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2010/11/22 Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>:

>>> Huh?
>>
>> How exactly are you going to get from
>>
>>        format('string here', timestamp_expr)

>>        format('string here', to_char(timestamp_expr))
>>
>> especially seeing that "to_char" is not one function but an overloaded
>> family of functions (doubtless soon to become even more overloaded,
>> if this proposal is adopted)?

a code for this is available now - if there is a some break, then it
is a "search_path". But this is a general problem. Probably isn't
significant problem to limit search_path just for pg_catalog.

>> Or is the intention to replicate the parser's
>> overloaded-function-resolution behavior at runtime?  That seems awkward,
>> duplicative, slow, and probably prone to security issues (think
>> search_path).
>
> Ick.
>
>> Or perhaps Itagaki-san intended to hard-wire a fixed set of to_char
>> functions that format() knows about.  That seems to lose whatever minor
>> charms the proposal possessed, because it wouldn't be extensible without
>> changing format()'s C code.
>
> Extensibility would be (really) nice to have, but the feature may have
> some merit even without that.  I certainly spend a lot more time
> formatting built-in types than custom ones.

The implementation should not be complex or ugly,  but it can returns
back dependency problem.

Regards

Pavel Stehule