Re: Some git conversion issues

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Some git conversion issues
Дата
Re: Some git conversion issues  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 20:42, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Working on the git conversion with keywords, and I've noticed a couple of
>> strange things that don't come up the same way in git. All of these are in
>> non-code files, but they do defeat the "identical tarball" mode.
>>
>> For example, a number of files have commits showing up in cvs with nothing at
>> all changed. This triggered an update of the keywords only, with no contents
>> changed.
>>
>> For example, look at:
>> http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/doc/Attic/FAQ_AIX.diff?r1=1.19.2.9;r2=1.19.2.10
>> http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/doc/Attic/FAQ_HPUX.diff?r1=1.14.2.9;r2=1.14.2.10
>> http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/doc/Attic/FAQ_Solaris.diff?r1=1.22.2.10;r2=1.22.2.11
>>
>> Some show up as completely empty, like:
>> http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/doc/src/sgml/generate_history.pl.diff?r1=1.1;r2=1.1.2.1
>>

>> Does anybody know how this can even happen? Wouldn't cvs normally just
>> not commit the file if there are no changes?
>
> I have reproduced this by modifying just the CVS tag:
>
>        $PostgreSQL: pgsql/src/backend/catalog/README,v 1.15 2010/07/20
>        18:38:53 momjian Exp $

To clarify with what Bruce said on IM to me, the situation is when the
workflow is to manually copy a file from one repo to another before
committing (a working one vs the committer one for example), it may
not be up to date on the version id. Personally this never happens
because I move files by making "cvs diff" in one and applying in the
other, not copying the files.

For one thing, this showed up in a lot of .po files for 8.1.0RC1.
Peter, can you comment on if this coincides with the tools you use to
do those things?

> so it is possible, and can be ignored.

Yeah, but do we want to? It means a git checkout of the branch tip
will be slightly different - in keywords only - from the previous
checkout in cvs.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/