Re: How to add a new field/column in a table

От Sean Davis
Тема Re: How to add a new field/column in a table
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:01 AM, Rex Hu <hu.280@buckeyemail.osu.edu> wrote:
Dear all:

Here is what I am trying to do. Suppose that I have a table called
'table_1' as follows

id_no | FirstName
------------------------
1111  | John
2222  | Joe
3333  | Susan
4444  | Eli

Now a want to insert a new field to this table, called 'LastName'. I
could use the 'ALTER TABLE' statement to add it to the field. However,
that column only has 'NULL'. Then how do I populate this column with
the data that I have.

You are most of the way there.  After adding the column, you will want to do a set of SQL updates to fill in the data.

Sean