Re: Per-column collation

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: Per-column collation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2010/11/16 Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>:
> On tis, 2010-11-16 at 20:59 +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:

>> > Sorry, is there some mistake in that message?
>> >

>> it is unclean - I expect some like "cannot to use collation
>> cs_CZ.iso88502, because your database use a utf8 encoding".
>
> No, the namespace for collations is per encoding.  (This is per SQL
> standard.)  So you *could* have a collation called "cs_CZ.iso88502" for
> the UTF8 encoding.
>
>> I have not a problem with size. Just I think, current behave isn't
>> practical. When database encoding is utf8, then I except, so "cs_CZ"
>> or "czech" will be for utf8. I understand, so template0 must have a
>> all locales, and I understand why current behave is, but it is very
>> user unfriendly. Actually, only old application in CR uses latin2,
>> almost all uses a utf, but now latin2 is preferred. This is bad and
>> should be solved.
>
> Again, we can only look at the locale names that the operating system
> gives us.  Mapping that to the names you expect is an AI problem.  If
> you have a solution, please share it.

ok, then we should to define this alias manually

some like - CREATE COLLATE "czech" FOR LOCALE "cs_CZ.UTF8"

or some similar. Without this, the application or stored procedures
can be non portable between UNIX and WIN.

Peter, now initdb check relation between encoding and locale - and
this check is portable. Can we use this code?

Pavel