Re: PG dump and restore

От Dennis C
Тема Re: PG dump and restore
Дата
Список pgsql-general
It says "Trading-Access: gzip compressed data, from Unix"

About the idea of not using pg_restore for these dumps, what I'm still missing is how it's worked for all these years before.  Are there now more stringent standards being enforced?

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com> wrote:
On 25 June 2010 16:28, Dennis C <dcswest@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings;
> As I've been doing for quite some time, backed up my database as
> such: /opt/local/lib/postgresql84/bin/pg_dump -c -f ./Trading-Access -Z 5
> Trading-Access
> But then when I tried restoring it my usual way as
> such: /opt/local/lib/postgresql84/bin/pg_restore -d Trading-Access
> ./Trading-Access
> it causes the error: pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be
> a valid archive
> So in trying: /opt/local/lib/postgresql84/bin/psql Trading-Access <
> ./Trading-Access
> it causes the error: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x8b
> Thanks,

If the output file is in custom format, that last step shouldn't work
since custom format isn't parsable by psql.  That would only work if
it was dumped in plain format.

Your original dump specifies a compression level, but you didn't
specify "-F c" for custom format, which would use the compression
level.

Is your file human readable?  Try running "file Trading-Access" on the
file.  What does it say?

Thom

Сообщение: Re: Need Some Recent Information on the Differences between Postgres and MySql
Сообщение: Re: Need Some Recent Information on the Differences between Postgres and MySql