Re: recovery getting interrupted is not so unusual as it used to be

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: recovery getting interrupted is not so unusual as it used to be
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 2:20 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've tried to keep this as similar as possible to the existing message while making it less ambiguous about cause
andeffect.

>> "If this has occurred more than once corrupt data might be the cause and you might need to choose an earlier
recoverytarget".

> If the database system is exiting unexpectedly during archive
> recovery, some data might be corrupted and you might need to choose an
> earlier recovery target.

I think you've missed the key addition in Florian's suggestions. The
"might be the cause" tips the user off to what's going on. Your
statement is just as ambiguous as the original message in that it
could be (and usually would be) read as saying that the interruption
of recovery could cause the corruption.

I would probably write it as "If this is happening repeatedly it might
be caused by corrupt data. Try choosing an earlier recovery target
prior to the corruption.". Florian's phrasing seemed ok to me too
though.

--
greg

Сообщение: Re: functional call named notation clashes with SQL feature
Сообщение: Re: functional call named notation clashes with SQL feature