Re: string function - "format" function proposal

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: string function - "format" function proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello

2010/10/14 Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@gmail.com>:
>> Let's make format support %s, %i, and %l, as well as
>> allowing things like %$3l (meaning, escape the third argument as a
>> literal and interpolate here), and call it good.
>
> Your idea is:
>  % [ $ pos ] format  -- ex. %$3l , %l
>  Escapes: %% => %
>
> Just for information, $ and pos are reversed in C sprintf.
>  % [ pos $ ] format  -- ex. %3$l , %l
>  Escapes: %% => %

ook - +1 for %3$l

> IMHO, I like {} syntax as like as C# because the format strings are extensible.
>  { pos [ : format ] } -- ex {3:l}, {3} (, and {l} could be also supported)
>  Escapes: {{ => {, }} => }

I dislike it. The target usage for this function is plpgsql code. I
prefer a simply design - second sprintf is useles. More - {} can be
used in  messages relative often and with your proposal, you have to
intensivelly use a escaping.

Regards

Pavel