Re: Instrument checkpoint sync calls

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Instrument checkpoint sync calls
Дата
Re: Instrument checkpoint sync calls  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Jeff Janes wrote:
>>
>> I've attached a tiny patch to apply over yours, to deal with this and
>> with the case where no files are synced.
>>

> Thanks for that.  That obvious error eluded me because in most of the patch
> update testing I was doing (on ext3), the longest sync was always about the
> same length as the total sync time.
>
> Attached patch (in correct diff form this time!) collects up all changes.
>  That includes elimination of a potential race condition if someone changes
> log_checkpoints while a long sync phase is executing.  I don't know whether
> that can happen, and it obviously won't give accurate stats going back to
> the beginning of the checkpoint in that case, but it  tries to defend aginst
> producing complete garbage if that value changes out from under it.
>
> This is the first version of this patch I feel fairly good about; no open
> concerns left on my side.  Jeff, since you're now the de-facto credited
> reviewer of this one by virtue of suggesting bug fixes, could you take this
> update out for a spin too?

I took a look at this and it looks generally good, but I'm wondering
why md.c is converting the results from an exact value to a floating
point, only to have xlog.c turn around and convert back to an integer.I think it could just return milliseconds
directly,or if you're
worried about a checkpoint that takes more than 24 days to complete,
seconds and microseconds.  Or am I missing something?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company