Re: How to mark a transaction as SERIALIZABLE?

От Joe Carr
Тема Re: How to mark a transaction as SERIALIZABLE?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Thanks for the link. I've done some more reading, and now it appears impossible to set the isolation level of a transaction from within a function.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test(character varying)
  RETURNS integer AS
$BODY$
BEGIN
SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;
RETURN 1;
END;
 $BODY$
  LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE

Creates successfully, but when executed reports : "ERROR:  SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL must be called before any query". I believe this is happening because I'm exercising the function with :

select * from test('test');

so that select is executed prior to the SET TRANSACTION. If I remove the SET TRANSACTION command from the function, and then call it by :

SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;
select * from test('test');

that works. So, is that the correct way to set the isolation level for a function? Thanks again for your help.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test(character varying)
  RETURNS SETOF integer AS
$BODY$

BEGIN TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;
--SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;
RETURN 1;
END;
 $BODY$
  LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE

which returns with the error :
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "TRANSACTION"
LINE 1: TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE

if the BEGIN line is empty with no semi-colon, the function will work :
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test(character varying)
  RETURNS integer AS
$BODY$

BEGIN
--TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;
--SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;

RETURN 1;
END;
 $BODY$
  LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE

but if I place a semi-colon after BEGIN (e.g. BEGIN;), I get the error :
ERROR:  syntax error at or near ";"
LINE 5: BEGIN;

So any help you may be able to provide in the BEGIN syntax (or whatever I'm doing wrong) is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

   -Joe

BEGIN in your function isn't the same as BEGIN in an SQL statement block.  It merely marks where the function begins, not the transaction.  Note that you also shouldn't use a semi-colon after the BEGIN in a function.  See this page for more info: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/plpgsql-structure.html

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Сообщение: Re: How to mark a transaction as SERIALIZABLE?
Сообщение: Re: How to mark a transaction as SERIALIZABLE?