Re: Is there a way to bypass sql?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Is there a way to bypass sql?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:39 PM, samantha <sjatkins@mac.com> wrote:
> I have been digging into NoSQL of late.  For navigational queries it would
> be great if there was a way to bypass SQL and directly pull from an
> identifier for a record or arbitrary byte stream.  Does postgresql directly
> support such ability?   What is the closest that you could come?

You can get pretty close, depending on how you define 'bypass'.  For
example, it is possible to send rich data structures back and forth
between the client and the server without constructing a SQL text
string.  Those structures still have to be strongly typed in the
server unless you want to stuff everything into a bytea (which btw I
think is a terrible idea for most cases).  Could you describe in more
detail what you'd like to do and what (if any) inefficiencies or
restrictions SQL is imposing that you would like to bypass?

merlin