[Off Topic] Software load balancing question

От Mike Christensen
Тема [Off Topic] Software load balancing question
Дата
Re: [Off Topic] Software load balancing question  (Vick Khera <vivek@khera.org>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi guys, in my typical "ignore the rules when I have an audience of
smart techie people", I thought I'd poll the group about software load
balancing.  I know next to nothing about it, but I'm deploying my site
(built on Postgres 9.0 now!) within the next few days and at least
want a simple solution.

I'll be running a load balancer on a cheap, 256MB virtual server
instance running whatever flavor of Linux.  I want something super
simple to setup, but perhaps something with more advanced features if
I want to expand.  I don't really need sticky sessions, or SSL
support.  The site is new and won't have a huge load, I just want to
be "prepared" in case I get flooded unexpectedly.

Am I best off just using Apache with mod_proxy_balancer, or should I
check into solutions such as HAProxy or IPVS?  Anything else good out
there that people can recommend?

Another "nice to have" would be a solution where the load balancer
could serve up static resources such as jpg, png, js/css files, and
only forward dynamic page requests to a random web server.  However, I
might move those files to a CDN anyway, so not a huge deal.  Thanks!!
Sorry for being off-topic, I'll make up for it somehow.

Mike