Re: .gitignore files, take two

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: .gitignore files, take two
Дата
Re: .gitignore files, take two  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: .gitignore files, take two  (Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
I suppose you already know my votes, but here they are again just in case.

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> 1. Whether to keep the per-subdirectory ignore files (which CVS
> insisted on, but git doesn't) or centralize in a single ignore file.

Centralize.

> 2. Whether to have the ignore files ignore common cruft such as
> editor backup files, or only "expected" build product files.

I don't care too much about this.  A mild preference for just the
expected build product files, but then that's heavily influenced by my
choice of editor, which doesn't leave such cruft around permanently.

> 3. What are the ignore filesets *for*, in particular should they list
> just the derived files expected in a distribution tarball, or all the
> files in the set of build products in a normal build?

All the build products in a normal build.  One of the infelicities of
git is that 'git status' shows the untracked files at the bottom.  So
if you have lots of unignored stuff floating around, the information
about which files you've actually changed or added to the index
scrolls right off the screen.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company