Re: Interruptible sleeps (was Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!)

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: Interruptible sleeps (was Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 5:13 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Does ReleaseLatch() have any actual use-case, and if so what would it be?
> I think we could do without it.

In Unix, probably we can live without that. But in Windows, we need to
free SharedEventHandles slot for upcoming process using a latch when
ending.

> The WaitLatch timeout API could use a bit of refinement.  I'd suggest
> defining negative timeout as meaning wait forever, so that timeout = 0
> can be used for "check but don't wait".  Also, it seems like the
> function shouldn't just return void but should return a bool to show
> whether it saw the latch set or timed out.  (Yeah, I realize the caller
> could look into the latch to find that out, but callers really ought to
> treat latches as opaque structs.)

Agreed.

> I don't think you have the select-failed logic right in
> WaitLatchOrSocket; on EINTR it will suppose that FD_ISSET is a valid
> test to make, which I think ain't the case.  Just "continue" around
> the loop.

EINTR already makes us go back to the top of the loop since FD_ISSET(pipe)
is not checked. Then we would clear the pipe and break out of the loop
because of "latch->is_set == true".

> +                        * XXX: Is it safe to elog(ERROR) in a signal handler?
>
> No, it isn't.

We should use elog(FATAL) or check proc_exit_inprogress, instead?

+        if (errno != EAGAIN && errno != EWOULDBLOCK)
+        {
+            /*
+             * XXX: Is it safe to elog(ERROR) in a signal handler?
+            elog(ERROR, "write() on self-pipe failed: %m");
+        if (errno == EINTR)
+            goto retry;

"errno == EINTR)" seems to be never checked.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center