Need some help setting up pgAgent

От Mike Christensen
Тема Need some help setting up pgAgent
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Okay my required n00b question of the week, hopefully this'll be an easy one..

I decided to give pgAgent a shot, because there's this stored sproc
(sorry, function) I need to run nightly and I think spending hours
figuring out pgAgent would somehow be better than the 3 minutes it
would take to add a cron job that calls psql..

I'm following the directions at:
http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.6/pgagent-install.html

However, the heading "Daemon installation on *nix" needs me to believe
that running pgagent from the command line should install the daemon,
and then things should be happily running in the background.  However,
when I run the command line as instructed, it just sits there and does
nothing.  I never get returned to the bash prompt, it's as if the
daemon is just running in interactive mode until I stop the process..
Maybe I'm missing something, or I have to add that command line to
some config file.  I'm not a unix guru but from my past experiences, I
can usually run daemons with "/etc/init.d/blah start" - pgAgent
doesn't seem to be installed in that manner.

Second, assuming the daemon is running in interactive mode, like..
now what?  The docs have no next steps.  How do I create a new job to
run my SQL function every night?  From some documentation from
Postgres Plus, I was led to believe that there should be a "Jobs" tree
in pgAdmin created..  But I see nothing.  Thanks!

Mike