Re: BUG #5629: ALTER SEQUENCE foo START execute a RESTART

От Alexsander Rosa
Тема Re: BUG #5629: ALTER SEQUENCE foo START execute a RESTART
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Well, if it's not going to be fixed, then at least the docs should be
revised to warn all 8.4+ users to avoid this command and, if it's really
needed, always check the server version before using the ALTER SEQUENCE ...
START command, once it has a potentially hazardous bug that interprets it as
a RESTART in 8.3 version and below.

2010/9/7 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>

> Alexsander Rosa wrote:
> > What about the risk of using ALTER SEQUENCE ... START N in a mixed
> > environment? In the 8.4.x servers it will work as designed but in the
> 8.3.x
> > (and below) servers, instead of issuing an error it will CORRUPT the
> > sequence value without notice. I understand the point of keeping a
> > (mis)feature when it's harmless or at least not amibiguous, but this is
> not
> > the case here. While the 8.4 behavior -- the correct one -- is a mere
> > configuration of little consequence, the 8.3 (and below) behavior is an
> > unexpected RESET. I think it's safer to require the people that was usi=
ng
> > old versions with the wrong spell to fix their code than put lots of
> users
> > of the current version in risk of using a potentially disastrous command
> --
> > when executed in previous versions. Should all 8.4.x (and beyond) users
> be
> > forced to check server version before issuing this command?
>
> Should all 8.3 users be required to retest their applications after a
> minor upgrade?  No.
>
> --
>  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
>  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com
>
>  + It's impossible for everything to be true. +

--=20
Atenciosamente,
Alexsander da Rosa
Linux User #113925

"Extremismo na defesa da liberdade n=E3o =E9 defeito.
Modera=E7=E3o na busca por justi=E7a n=E3o =E9 virtude."
-- Barry Goldwater