Re: The page: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Why_PostgreSQL_Instead_of_MySQL_2009 Is inappropiate

От Dave Page
Тема Re: The page: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Why_PostgreSQL_Instead_of_MySQL_2009 Is inappropiate
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 3:53 PM, fabio mariotti <fab.mariotti@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Postgresql team,
> I find this page very inappropriate.
> The page:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Why_PostgreSQL_Instead_of_MySQL_2009
> The title is an advertisement. Could have been PostgreSQL versus MySQL/2009.

If you have found something that is incorrect, or misleading on that
page we'd be happy to correct that - we do pride ourselves on giving
fair, balanced and accurate information. However, I don't believe
anyone here will apologise for advertising the benefits of our own
product, on one of our websites.

> I did not read the page for a single reason: just by scrawling, moving the
> page up an down
> I didn't see a number or a graph. There is even a section named speed: no
> numbers.
> Even a subsection called: Benchmarks. No numbers again.

No, because that it's not the purpose of that page. It is intended as
a technical and feature comparison.

Benchmarks are often misleading as they tend to only be relevant to
the specific application that is being tested, which is usually not
what people are running. It is always advisable to benchmark your own
application to get a realistic idea of how the different products will
perform for you.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com