Re: Can postgres create a file with physically continuous blocks.

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Can postgres create a file with physically continuous blocks.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2010, at 1:10 AM, flyusa2010 fly wrote:
>> Does postgres make an effort to create a file with physically continuous blocks?
>
> AFAIK all files are expanded as needed. I don't think there's any flags you can pass to the filesystem to tell it
"thisfile will eventually be 1GB in size". So, we're basically at the mercy of the FS to try and keep things
contiguous.

There have been some reports that we would do better on some
filesystems if we extended the file more than a block at a time, as we
do today.  However, AFAIK, no one is pursuing this ATM.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: [FeatureRequest] Base Convert Function
От: Pavel Stehule
Сообщение: Re: [FeatureRequest] Base Convert Function