Re: Version Numbering

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Version Numbering
Дата
Re: Version Numbering  ("Sergio A. Kessler" <sergiokessler@gmail.com>)
Re: Version Numbering  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 4:29 AM, Sergio A. Kessler
<sergiokessler@gmail.com> wrote:
> on every single planet of the universe, except the one called
> "postgrearth", whose inhabitants breathe sql and eat messages from
> postgresql mailing lists... :-)
>
> most people I know, think 8.1 is just 8.0 with some fixes...

Really? is Linux 2.6 just 2.5 with some fixes? Glibc 2.Was Windows 3.5
just 3.4 with some fixes? Gnome 2.28 just 2.27 with some fixes?

In fact perusing dpkg -l output the *only* software package I find
that bumps the major version every single release is Emacs. It stands
out as an outlier as soon as you say version 23 -- and that was
despite a hiatus when version 18.59 was the newest release for years.

Here is the Gnome project's description of what's new in 2.28 (over
2.26, the previous public release):

The GNOME Project's focus on users and usability continues in GNOME
2.28 with its hundreds of bug fixes and user-requested improvements.
The sheer number of enhancements makes it impossible to list every
change and improvement made, but these notes aim to highlight some of
the more exciting, user-oriented features in this release.

--
greg