Re: pg_dump does not honor namespaces when functions are used in index

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: pg_dump does not honor namespaces when functions are used in index
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I actually wonder if we shouldn't automatically tag plpgsql functions
>> with the search_path in effect at the time of their creation (as if
>> the user had done ALTER FUNCTION ... SET search_path=...whatever the
>> current search path is...).
>
> That would be extremely expensive and not very backwards-compatible.
> In the case at hand, just writing "RETURN bar.bar();" would be the
> best-performing solution.

I wonder if we should have a mode for plpgsql functions where all name
lookups are done at definition time So the bar() function would be
resolved to bar.bar() and stored that way permanently so that pg_dump
dumped the definition as bar.bar().

That would be probably just as good as setting the search path on the
function for most users and better for some. It would have the same
problem with dynamic sql that a lot of things have though.

--
greg