Re: patch: to_string, to_array functions

От Itagaki Takahiro
Тема Re: patch: to_string, to_array functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2010/7/12 Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>:
> I prefere a new names  - because there are a new behave - with little
> bit better default handling of NULL values. string_to_array and
> array_to_string just ignore NULL values - what isn't correct behave.
> Later we can mark these functions as deprecated and remove it. If I
> use current function, then we have to continue in current behave.

I prefer existing names because your new default behavior can be done
with suitable nullstr values. IMHO, new names will be acceptable only if
they are listed in the SQL-standard or many other databases use the
names. Two similar versions of functions must confuse users.

Also, are there any consensus about "existing functions are not correct" ?
Since string_agg() and your new concat() functions ignores NULLs,
I think it is not so bad for array_to_string() to ignore NULLs.

--
Itagaki Takahiro