Re: large xml database

От Viktor Bojović
Тема Re: large xml database
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:

   <mailto:viktor.bojovic@gmail.com>> writes:

   VB> i have very big XML documment which is larger than 50GB and
   want to
   VB> import it into databse, and transform it to relational schema.

   Were I doing such a conversion, I'd use perl to convert the xml into
   something which COPY can grok. Any other language, script or compiled,
   would work just as well. The goal is to avoid having to slurp the
   whole
   xml structure into memory.

   -JimC
   --
   James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com <mailto:cloos@jhcloos.com>>

The insertion into dabase is not very big problem.
I insert it as XML docs, or as varchar lines or as XML docs in varchar format. Usually i use transaction and commit after block of 1000 inserts and it goes very fast. so insertion is over after few hours.
But the problem occurs when i want to transform it inside database from XML(varchar or XML format) into tables by parsing.
That processing takes too much time in database no matter if it is stored as varchar lines, varchar nodes or XML data type.

--
Viktor Bojovic'

Wherever I go, Murphy goes with me

Are you saying you first load the xml into the database, then parse that xml into instance of objects (rows in tables)?

Yes. That way takes less ram then using twig or simple xml, so I tried using postgre xml functions or regexes.

--
Viktor Bojović