Re: patch: Add JSON datatype to PostgreSQL (GSoC, WIP)

От Itagaki Takahiro
Тема Re: patch: Add JSON datatype to PostgreSQL (GSoC, WIP)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 6:39 AM, Terry Laurenzo <tj@laurenzo.org> wrote:
> The answer may be to have both a jsontext and jsonbinary type as each will
> be optimized for a different case.

I want to choose one format for JSON rather than having two types.
It should be more efficient than other format in many cases,
and not so bad in other cases.

I think the discussion was started with "BSON could represent was a subset of what JSON could represent".
So, any binary format could be acceptable that have enough
representational power compared with text format.

For example, a sequence of <byte-length> <text> could reduce
CPU cycles for reparsing and hold all of the input as-is except
ignorable white-spaces. It is not a BSON, but is a binary format.

Or, if we want to store numbers in binary form, I think the
format will be numeric type in postgres. It has high precision,
and we don't need any higher precision than it to compare two
numbers eventually. Even if we use BSON format, we need to extend
it to store all of numeric values, that precision is 10^1000.

--
Itagaki Takahiro