Re: BUG #5735: pg_upgrade thinks that it did not start the old server

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: BUG #5735: pg_upgrade thinks that it did not start the old server
Дата
Re: BUG #5735: pg_upgrade thinks that it did not start the old server  (Arturas Mazeika <mazeika@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-bugs
On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Arturas Mazeika <mazeika@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info, this explains a lot.
>
> Yes, I am upgrading from the 32bit version to the 64bit one.
>
> We have pretty large databases =A0(some over 1 trillion of rows, and some
> containing large documents in blobs.) Giving a bit more memory than 4GB
> limit to Postgres was what we were long longing for. Postgres was able to
> handle large datasets (I suppose it uses something like long long (64bit)
> data type in C++) and I hoped naively that Postgres would be able to migr=
ate
> from one version to the other without too much trouble.
>
> I tried to pg_dump one of the DBs with large documents. I failed with out=
 of
> memory error. I suppose it is rather hard to migrate in my case :-( Any
> suggestions?

Yikes, that's not good.  How many tables do you have in your database?
 How many large objects?  Any chance you can coax a stack trace out of
pg_dump?

--=20
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company