Re: Patch: psql \whoami option

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Patch: psql \whoami option
Дата
Re: Patch: psql \whoami option  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Steve Singer <ssinger_pg@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> One comment I have on the output format is that values (ie the database
> name) are enclosed in double quotes but the values being quoted can contain
> double quotes that are not being escaped.   For example
>
> Connected to database: "testing"er", user: "ssinger", port: "5432" via local
> domain socket
>
> (where my database name is testing"er ).  Programs will have a hard time
> parsing this.  I'm not sure if this is a valid concern but I'm mentioning
> it.

It seems like for user and database it might be sensible to apply
PQescapeIdentifier to the value before printing it.  This will
double-quote it and escape any internal double-quotes appropriately.
The port is, I guess, being stored as a string, but doesn't it have to
be an integer?  In which case, why quote it at all?

Is there really a point to the non-DSN format or should we just use
the DSN format always?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company