Re: is sync rep stalled?

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Re: is sync rep stalled?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have one question for clarity:
>
> If we make all the transactions wait until specified standbys have
> connected to the master, how do we take a base backup from the
> master for those standbys? We seem to be unable to do that because
> pg_start_backup also waits forever. Is this right?

Well, in my *opinion*, if you've told the master to not "commit to"
*anything* unless it's synchronously replicated, you should already
have a synchronously replicating slave up and running.

I'm happy with the docs saying (maybe some what more politely): Before configuring your master to be completly,
wait-fully-synchronous, make sure you have a slave capable of being
synchronous ready.  Because if you've told it to never be
un-synchronous, it won't be.