Re: Suggested "easy" TODO: pg_dump --from-list

От Dmitriy Igrishin
Тема Re: Suggested "easy" TODO: pg_dump --from-list
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hey Dimitri, hackers,

Okay, there is a some getddl utility. But as for me, it does not
simplify the development. It is "file-based pgAdmin" with the
exception that I can use, e.g. Emacs for editing rather than
build-in editor of pgAdmin. But I can use Emacs from psql(1)...

Without some "restoreddl" which able to "compile" the set of
database objects from many files this tool (getddl) does nothing
because another developer can change the database directly
(from psql, pgAdmin, ...), commit his changes and when I restore
the database from entire dump (rather than from set of files created
by getddl) the result will be out of sync between files version control
system and restored database.

2010/11/26 Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndquadrant.fr>
> One thing I've often wished for is the ability to dump a specific
> function

See getddl from OmniTI, or the alternative version I kept forgetting to
put online somewhere:

 https://labs.omniti.com/labs/pgtreats/wiki/getddl
 https://github.com/dimitri/getddl

The OmniTI version will output a single file with all objects into a
single file, and my fork will do that in a directory structure with a
file per object or about (a single file containing all functions sharing
the same name, e.g.).

Both project goal is to make it easy to version (as in git) your DDL and
check for changes.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine