Re: bug in SignalSomeChildren

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: bug in SignalSomeChildren
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>> Can we add a develop option to force use of the kill(0) method?
>
> How will that avoid needing to have an honest answer from getppid()?
> Without that you can't know what to issue kill() against.

The answer to this question will probably be entirely self-evident if
you stare at PostmasterIsAlive() for, well, it took me about 10
seconds.  So probably less than five for you.

> Seems like the correct path here is to complain to gdb and/or BSD
> upstreams about this misbehavior.

That might be a good thing to do too, but even if they agree to fix it
and do in fact fix it right away, it'll take months or years before
all of the major PostgreSQL contributors can benefit from those fixes,
as opposed to, say, this afternoon.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company