Re: multibyte-character aware support for function "downcase_truncate_identifier()"

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: multibyte-character aware support for function "downcase_truncate_identifier()"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 12:40 AM, Rajanikant Chirmade
<rajanikant.chirmade@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Since discussion stopped in discussion thread
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2006-09/msg00128.php
>
> Are there any implications of this change in handling identifiers ?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Rajanikant Chirmade

An even more relevant message appears to be this one:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2006-09/msg00133.php

Both this and the comment in downcase_truncate_identifier() suggests
that the current method is attributable to lack of support for
Unicode-aware case normalization and is known not to work correctly in
all locales.  Locale and encoding stuff isn't really my area of
expertise, but if now have support for Unicode-aware case
normalization, shouldn't we be using it here, too?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company