Re: pg_dump --compress error

От yasin malli
Тема Re: pg_dump --compress error
Дата
Re: pg_dump --compress error  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-general
I tried it and it ran without any error but my table wasn't created so problem is going on.
compress level isn't important because when I controlled it gave me same results ( 5 or 9 )

Unfortunately, only plain-old dump works correctly while restoring.
if command contains any compress option, it won't work

any suggestion ?

--
Yasin MALLI
System & Software Development Engineer

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl> wrote:
On 31 Aug 2010, at 8:17, yasin malli wrote:

Don't reply to just me, include the list.

> if I took my dump file with 'pg_dump -Ft ' command, I would use 'pg_restore', but I take my dump file at plain-old format for compressing data ( tar format dump hasn't compress feature )
> when I tried your suggestion, I take this error : pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a valid archive

Ah right, most people use --compress in combination with the custom format (-Fc).

> I have little space on my device so I have to compress db files.
> For example; when I took dump_file with 'pg_dump -Ft'  dump_files size : 56K
>                                                            'pg_dump --compress=5'          : 4K

Try pg_dump -Fc --compress=5, I think you'll reach comparable sizes and you'll get much more flexibility to restore your database.
Shouldn't you be using level 9 btw, if you're worried about disk space?

> I can take a dump_file but I can't restore it. Is there any other way to restore compressed data ?

Didn't you read the man page for the --compress option? You can just pipe your dump through gunzip.

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:1164,4c7ca36210403062783909!