Re: patch: preload dictionary new version

От Itagaki Takahiro
Тема Re: patch: preload dictionary new version
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2010/7/8 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> For example, the dictionary-load code could automatically execute
> the precompile step if it observed that the precompiled copy of the
> dictionary was missing or had an older file timestamp than the source.

There might be a problem in automatic precompiler -- Where should we
save the result? OS users of postgres servers don't have write-permission
to $PGSHARE in normal cases. Instead, we can store the precompiled
result to $PGDATA/pg_dict_cache or so.

> I like the idea of a precompiler step mainly because it still gives you
> most of the benefits of the patch on platforms without mmap.

I also like the precompiler solution. I think the most important benefit
in the approach is that we don't need to declare dictionaries to be preloaded
in configuration files; We can always use mmap() for all dictionary files.

--
Takahiro Itagaki