Re: [ADMIN] locales and encodings Oh MY!

От mark
Тема Re: [ADMIN] locales and encodings Oh MY!
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Gabriele Bartolini
<gabriele.bartolini@2ndquadrant.it> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Il 12/11/10 03:31, mark ha scritto:
>>
>> I have listed what I think I will be doing with regards to initdb. if
>> anyone
>> sees problems with the following mixture during my dump ->  init->
>>  restore I
>> would be most keen in hearing about it.
>
> FYI, PostgreSQL 8.4 introduced database level collation. Before that, yes,
> you need to re-init your data dir.

Guess I missed that, I have 8.3.X boxes in production and 9.0.1 boxes
in dev so I guess only someone of them will require a re-init.

>> initdb /path/to/data/dir --lc_ctype=C --lc_collation=C
>> --lc_message=en_US.UTF8 --lc_monetary=en_US.UTF8 --lc_numeric=en_US.UTF8
>> --lc_time=en_US.UTF8 -E UTF8
>
> Maybe you meant --lc_collate ?

Yes I did mean lc_collate - thanks

> Cheers,
> Gabriele

With how similar straight C and en_US.UTF8 are it was suggested to me,
by persons who are far more C knowledgeable then I in my office, that
this is something the PG community could "fix" . A "fix" being so that
"col LIKE 'foo%' " could use btree indexes in locales like en_US.UTF8
(and probably some others).

@hackers ->
is the request unreasonable ? anyone got any idea of the price tag to
make that happen ?