Re: cross column correlation revisted

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: cross column correlation revisted
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2010/7/14 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> If the combination of columns is actually interesting, there might well
> be an index in place, or the DBA might be willing to create it.

Indexes aren't free, though, nor even close to it.

Still, I think we should figure out the underlying mechanism first and
then design the interface afterwards.  One idea I had was a way to say
"compute the MCVs and histogram buckets for this table WHERE
<predicate>".  If you can prove predicate for a particular query, you
can use the more refined statistics in place of the full-table
statistics.  This is fine for the breast cancer case, but not so
useful for the zip code/street name case (which seems to be the really
tough one).

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company