Re: What's the best type of index for an ENUM column?

От Mike Christensen
Тема Re: What's the best type of index for an ENUM column?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks, that's what I figured.

Just to double check, an enum type is gonna be stored on the disk as
an integer, correct?  And all indexes will be based on the integer
value of the enum?  Postgres only wants you to believe it's a string
when you look at the data.

Mike

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Mike Christensen <mike@kitchenpc.com> writes:
>> I have a column in a table that's an ENUM type.  What's the best type
>> of index for this?  It seems if I use a btree index, that's more
>> optimized for doing greater than or less than comparisons which don't
>> apply to an enum.  I will only be doing equals comparisons on these
>> columns.  Thanks!
>
> You aren't going to find that anything else beats out btree, I expect.
> If we had bitmap indexes, those might be superior; but we don't.

Сообщение: Re: What's the best type of index for an ENUM column?
Сообщение: Re: What's the best type of index for an ENUM column?