Re: [v9.1] add makeRangeTblEntry() into makefuncs.c

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [v9.1] add makeRangeTblEntry() into makefuncs.c
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas@gmail.com) wrote:
>> 2010/6/14 KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>:
>> > It adds makeRangeTblEntry() into makefuncs.c to keep the code more
>> > clean. It shall be also used for the upcoming DML refactor patch.
>> > In this refactoring, a common DML permission checker function take
>> > a list of RangeTblEntry, so the caller has to set up the object.
>>
>> I think this is the epitome of pointless.  It looks to me like this
>> just makes the code harder to read and very slightly slower without
>> actually accomplishing any useful abstraction.
>
> I had suggested to KaiGai that he check if there was an existing
> function for creating an RTE rather than just malloc'ing it- he took
> that to mean he should add one if he couldn't find one.  Wasn't my
> intent, but by the same token I didn't see it as a terribly bad thing
> either.  Perhaps it should be improved or maybe we should just rip it
> out, but I rather prefer some kind of abstraction for that given it's
> use in a number of places.  Of course, I may just be overly thinking it.

Well, there's not much point in having a function that initializes ONE
member of a 20+ member structure and leaves the initialization of all
the rest to the caller.  The structure effectively functions like a
disjoint union, so maybe there'd be some value in having a function
for "build a relation RTE", which would set the rtekind to
RTE_RELATION and take arguments for the other fields that pertain to
that case.  But the generic function proposed here doesn't really
provide any meaningful abstraction.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company