Re: Synchronization levels in SR

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Synchronization levels in SR
Дата
Re: Synchronization levels in SR  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 11:52 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Maybe, but I can't help thinking people are going to want some
>> > form of this.  The case where someone wants to do sync rep to the
>> > machine in the next rack over and async rep to a server at a
>> > remote site seems too important to ignore.
>>
>> I think there may be a terminology issue here -- I took "configure
>> by standby" to mean that *at the master* you would specify rules for
>> each standby.  I think Simon took it to mean that each standby would
>> define the rules for replication to it.  Maybe this issue can
>> resolve gracefully with a bit of clarification?
>
> The use case of "machine in the next rack over and async rep to a server
> at a remote site" would require the settings
>
> server.nextrack = synch
> server.remotesite = async
>
> which leaves open the question of what happens when "nextrack" is down.
>
> In many cases, to give adequate performance in that situation people add
> an additional server, so the config becomes
>
> server.nextrack1 = synch
> server.nextrack2 = synch
> server.remotesite = async
>
> We then want to specify for performance reasons that we can get a reply
> from either nextrack1 or nextrack2, so it all still works safely and
> quickly if one of them is down. How can we express that rule concisely?
> With some difficulty.

Perhaps the difficulty here is that those still look like per-server
settings to me.  Just maybe with a different set of semantics.

> My suggestion is simply to have a single parameter (name unimportant)
>
> number_of_synch_servers_we_wait_for = N
>
> which is much easier to understand because it is phrased in terms of the
> guarantee given to the transaction, not in terms of what the admin
> thinks is the situation.

So I agree that we need to talk about whether or not we want to do
this.  I'll give my opinion.  I am not sure how useful this really is.Consider a master with two standbys.  The master
commitsa
transaction and waits for one of the two standbys, then acknowledges
the commit back to the user.  Then the master crashes.  Now what?
It's not immediately obvious which standby we should being online as
the primary, and if we guess wrong we could lose transactions thought
to be committed.  This is probably a solvable problem, with enough
work: we can write a script to check the last LSN received by each of
the two standbys and promote whichever one is further along.

But... what happens if the master and one standby BOTH crash
simultaneously?  There's no way of knowing (until we get at least one
of them back up) whether it's safe to promote the other standby.

I like the idea of a "quorum commit" type feature where we promise the
user that things are committed when "enough" servers have acknowledged
the commit.  But I think most people are not going to want that
configuration unless we also provide some really good management tools
that we don't have today.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company