Re: How to force select to return exactly one row

От Martin
Тема Re: How to force select to return exactly one row
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ah yes sorry I missed the multi-columns. "My way" doesn't work for that.
If Tim's suggestion doesn't work for you, you could try a union...
it's fairly nasty and you will always have your "fake" row in the result.

Also I too am confused by "empty row". Are you trying to loop through the results in code and it fails if there are no rows at all?
Or some other equally odd thing? =)

Anyway here is an example UNION that I think would work (but note, this row will always be included even when your statement returns something, so it might not work for you).

(YOUR SELECT HERE)
UNION
(SELECT '','',1,1,perfectly_matched_datatype_cols_here); --those first couple are just examples

Mind you, I think this is nasty and would highly suggest taking another look at the code that is using this statement to see if you can deal more gracefully with an empty resultset.

hope this helps,
-m