Re: hot_standby = on

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: hot_standby = on
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Andrew Dunstan
>> <andrew.dunstan@pgexperts.com> wrote:
>>> The docs don't seem to contain any discussion I could find on why one
>>> might
>>> not want hot_standby on. Maybe it's just too obvious to most people, but
>>> this seems to be a bit lacking in the docs.
>> Well, if you don't want your slave to process queries, then you
>> wouldn't turn it on, presumably.
>
> Well, yes. But then to stop that you could just lock users out using
> pg_hba.conf, no? It just doesn't seem to be buying all that much to me. It's
> not a big deal, I was just curious. There are all these new knobs to play
> with ...

Well, yeah, you could do it that way, too, but that might not be
convenient - consider a failover setup where clients try to connect to
each IP in turn.  You want the standby to refuse connections until it
becomes the master, but then start accepting them.

I'm going to remove this from the list of open items for 9.0 since, as
you say, it's not a big deal.  :-)

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company