Re: why two dashes in extension load files

От Marko Kreen
Тема Re: why two dashes in extension load files
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On mån, 2011-02-14 at 10:13 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> writes:
>> > Why do the extension load files need two dashes, like xml2--1.0.sql?
>> > Why isn't one enough?
>>
>> Because we'd have to forbid dashes in extension name and version
>> strings.  This was judged to be a less annoying solution.  See
>> yesterday's discussion.
>
> I'm not convinced.  There was nothing in that discussion why any
> particular character would have to be allowed in a version number.  I'd
> propose that dashes should be prohibited in version names anyway,
> because downstream packaging will want to use that to separate packaging
> revisions.  It might be better to discuss that explicitly rather than
> hiding it in some thread of another title.

I think the question is more - what do we disallow in package name?

Eg. Debian disallows '_' and uses it as magic separator.  It works,
but it not as obvious as '-' vs '--', and '--' allows both '_' and '-' in
package name.  Unlikely anyone will want '--' in package name.

I would vote for current '--' and keeping version name simple,
no '_' and '-' there.  As we want to do some logic on that.

--
marko