Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 3:56 AM, Lars <la@unifaun.com> wrote:

> Any comments on the setups? How would an alternative with 15K disks (6 RAID 10 + 1 spare, or even 10 RAID10 + 1
spare)compare?

RAID-10 is going to trounce RAID-5 for writes, which is where you
usually have the most issues.

> How would these alternatives compare in I/O performance compared to the old setup?

Only testing can tell, but I've seen 4 SATA drives in RAID-10 with no
caching or fancy controller beat a 4 disk RAID-5 with BBU controller
more than once.