Re: JDBC gripe list

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: JDBC gripe list
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 4:37 PM, MauMau <maumau307@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Cramer" <pg@fastcrypt.com>
>>
>> My sense is that for basic read/write/update/delete the driver works
>> just fine. However I'd like to compile a list of everyone's gripe.
>
> Thank you for giving us an excellent JDBC driver. I've been learning
> PostgreSQL JDBC driver and PostgreSQL internals these days. Please let me
> add some items.
>
> 1. Better JDBC4 support
> I'd like the driver to support more JDBC4 features, regardless of whether
> they are actually useful. Just lack of support could lead to underevaluation
> when compared to other databases such as Oracle and HSQLDB (IIRC, HSQLDB
> provides better JDBC4 support). I love PostgreSQL and don't want my
> colleagues to underevaluate PostgreSQL.

So looking at some of the stuff in JDBC4 one simple thing is that many
times we throw not implemented when we should be throwing
SqlFeatureNotSupported.

There are some things that seem intractable such as getRowID I guess
we could try to return oid if it were there.

> 2. Ability to run regression tests against the driver located in an
> arbitorary place
> The current regression test builds the driver and uses it. I want to run the
> regression test against an installed driver like "make installcheck" of
> PostgreSQL. With that feature, I can make sure that the installation media
> contains a correct driver and we performed packaging procedure with no
> problem.

This is in the ant build file and probably fairly easy to do.

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca