Re: Return key from query

От Szymon Guz
Тема Re: Return key from query
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 3 November 2010 17:46, Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@abpni.co.uk> wrote:

Sorry, I don't get it. I usually have an application that knows if it
wants to write some data to database, or not. So it writes the data, and
just gets from database the id that was set by database. No need of
getting the id earlier in a transaction, although the simple insert that
saves the data runs in a transaction of course.
Another approach could be just getting the id from database, and saving
the data using that id. If someone puts there any complicated logic
between getting id and saving data, it is just a very bad software
design, that has nothing common with the id/uuid problem.

All my software is doing is running a simple INSERT query on a table, with the primary key auto-incremented. I just have no way of knowing what the new ID is once the query is done. My problem is simpler than soft folk here think, however I feer that the solution is harder than I think :(

Hi,
why harder? Simple INSERT RETURNING doesn't work for you?

regards
Szymon