Re: Store base64 in database. Use bytea or text?

От Andre Lopes
Тема Re: Store base64 in database. Use bytea or text?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks for all the reply's.

I will be using PHP for now to insert data.

So I shouldn't use base64 to store images or any other kind of files.
I'm new to storing files in the database. This will be my first
experience.

I will research about PQescapeByteaConn.

Thanks for the help.

Best Regards,

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:46 PM, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:

>> On 25 January 2011 22:27, Andre Lopes <lopes80andre@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I need to put some images on Base64 in a PostgreSQL database. Wich
>> > type should I use and what is the difference between using bytea or
>> > text to store Base64?
>>
>> I really don't think you want to do that. Base64 is used to make
>> binary data 7-bit safe for compatibility with legacy systems (i.e. to
>> embed arbitrary binary data within ASCII). Sometimes people escape
>> binary data as base64 to store it in their DB, but they typically
>> store it as bytea. Base64 probably isn't even a particularly good
>> choice for escaping binary, let alone storing it.
>>
>> You should just use a generic escaping function. libpq has
>> PQescapeByteaConn(), for example.
>
> A warning: last I checked, PHP's pg_escape_bytea() was broken, so be
> cautious if you're using PHP.
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> http://www.potentialtech.com
> http://people.collaborativefusion.com/~wmoran/

Сообщение: Re: Store base64 in database. Use bytea or text?
Сообщение: Re: Store base64 in database. Use bytea or text?