Re: On Scalability

От Vincenzo Romano
Тема Re: On Scalability
Дата
Re: On Scalability  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
Список pgsql-hackers
2010/10/7 Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>:
> * Vincenzo Romano (vincenzo.romano@notorand.it) wrote:
>> Which kind of information are you thinking about?
>> I think that the stuff you put into the CHECK condition for the table
>> will say it all.
>
> The problem is that CHECK conditions can contain just about anything,
> hence the planner needs to deal with that possibility.

Not really. For partitioning there would be some constraints as you
have in the DEFAULT values.

>> Infact there you have not just the column names with relevant values, but the
>> actual expression(s) to be checked,
>
> Yes, that would be the problem.  Proving something based on expressions
> is alot more time consuming and complicated than being explicitly told
> what goes where.

Consuming computing resources at DDL-time should be OK if that will
lead to big savings at DML-time (run-time), my opinion. It'd be just like
compile time optimizations.

--
Vincenzo Romano at NotOrAnd Information Technologies
Software Hardware Networking Training Support Security