Why does my DB size differ between Production and DR? (Postgres 8.4)

От Aleksey Tsalolikhin
Тема Why does my DB size differ between Production and DR? (Postgres 8.4)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Situation:  Disk usage on production server root filesystem is at 68%
utilization (80 GB used), on DR is at 51% (56 GB used).   We use
SlonyII-1.2.x to keep the DR up to date.  I would like to account for
the 24 GB difference.

Symptoms:

1. Database size reported by psql c '\l+'

         Production:   52 GB

         DR:               30 GB

         Difference:  22 GB

2. Top table by size (including index and TOAST), as reported by:
SELECT relname as "Table",
pg_size_pretty(pg_total_relation_size(relid)) As "Size" from
pg_catalog.pg_statio_user_tables ORDER BY
pg_total_relation_size(relid) DESC;

         Production:   42 GB

         DR:               24 GB

         Difference:   18 GB

2b. That same table size (no index, no TOAST) as reported by:  SELECT
relname as "Table", pg_size_pretty(pg_relation_size(relid)) As "Size"
from pg_catalog.pg_statio_user_tables ORDER BY pg_relation_size(relid)
DESC;

         Production:   744 MB

         DR:               528 MB

3. Output of "du -sh data" for my PostgreSQL installation:

         Production:   60 GB

         DR:               31 GB

         Difference: 31 GB

How to account for the 18 GB difference in that single table size
between production and DR?  I imagine it's in the TOAST but how do I
list TOAST table size?  How to get production size down closer to that
of the DR?

Best,
-at

Сообщение: Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries
Сообщение: Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries