Re: shmget error text reports funny max_connections numbers

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: shmget error text reports funny max_connections numbers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Since MaxBackends is actually max_connections + autovacuum_max_workers +
> 1, when you get an error message from shmget() it will tell you
>
> "reduce ... its max_connections parameter (currently 104)"
>
> when you actually set
>
> max_connections = 100
>
> This looks a bit silly.
>
> Should we just make the error messages report MaxBackends -
> autovacuum_max_workers - 1, or is it worthwhile calling out
> autovacuum_max_workers separately?

I suppose there are other reasons we could run out of shared memory,
too.  max_locks_per_transaction, for example.  It might be good to
revise the wording of the message so as to suggest that these are only
some of the possible causes.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company