Re: BUG #5889: "Intersects" for polygons broken

От Konrad Garus
Тема Re: BUG #5889: "Intersects" for polygons broken
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-geometry.html

I wish it explained what arguments each of the operators accepts, and
whether any automatic conversions take place (like polygon to box in
that 8.3 issue).

What happens when I call ?# or ?- on a polygon and point? Two points? Open =
path?

Some of these are obvious, but others not so much.

2011/3/8 Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Konrad Garus <konrad.garus@gmail.com> w=
rote:

>>> This is fixed as of 9.0; see the release notes at
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/release-9-0.html
>>> which say
>>>
>>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Correct calculations of "overlaps" and "contains" operat=
ions for polygons (Teodor Sigaev)

>>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0The polygon && (overlaps) operator formerly just checked=
 to see
>>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0if the two polygons' bounding boxes overlapped. It now d=
oes a
>>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0more correct check. The polygon @> and <@ (contains/cont=
ained
>>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0by) operators formerly checked to see if one polygon's v=
ertexes
>>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0were all contained in the other; this can wrongly report=
 "true"
>>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0for some non-convex polygons. Now they check that all li=
ne
>>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0segments of one polygon are contained in the other.
>>
>> Thank you. How about the point of more informative docs that would
>> explain supported types, automatic conversions and all such caveats
>> (also for 8.3 and 8.4)?
>
> I think a lot of these things are already documented. =A0Aren't they?
>
> --
> Robert Haas
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--=20